Last week the Albert Cobarrubias Justice squad presented to the attorneys of the juvenile division of the Santa Clara County Public Defender’s Office. We were invited to share our experiences, perspectives, and our model of how families can play a role in partnering with defense attorneys to protect youth from the system. It was a very productive sit down as we brought some of our leading organizers who first got introduced to the system through witnessing their own children face the courts. Their is nothing more insightful than a mother’s observations. We also shared the video, made by Cesar Flores, that was used by a defense attorney earlier this year to further her point that her client was being over-charged. The young man was able to resolve his case without jail or prison time, as well as preserving his relief for immigration court. We look forward to continuing our partnering efforts to keep youth out of the system!
ACJP Video Series
ACJP Tag CloudAB109 acjp ACLU Aram James California prisons court system criminal justice De-Bug deportation deportations detainers East Palo Alto exoneration Gail Noble George Shirakawa homeland security ICE ice holds ILRC Immigration Innocence Project Jeff Adachi juvenile ICE holds juvenile justice overcrowded prisons Padilla decision parole prison overcrowding prison system public defender Raj Jayadev realignment San Jose San Mateo County santa clara county SCOMM secure communities Secured Communities SIREN three strikes three strikes law trayvon martin undocumented immigrants US Supreme Court wrongful conviction
- May 20, 2013 ACJP Presents to Santa Clara County Juvenile Attorneys
- Mother’s Day Math: Mother’s Love > The System
- Mini-Doc: Transforming the Courts Through Family and Community Participation
- Time Saved: 3 Families Support Each Other to Beat a Collective of 41 Years to Life in Prison
- ACJP in East San Jose Celebrates Two Years of Re-Uniting Families, Beating False Arrests, and Stopping Deportations